Pages

Friday, November 16, 2012

Radio-head


This week I've been hammering away at my keyboard, bashing out scripts for Grace Baptist Mission's radio programme, Serving Today. Next Tuesday I'll be heading to GBM's Abingdon HQ to record eight talks on Jesus' "I am" sayings in the Gospel According to John with Andrew Cook. I know there are only seven of them, but the first talk is introductory. 

Also I've been in and out of schools quite a bit. On Tuesday I led a primary school assembly. I'm a parent governor at the local secondary school and we had a committee meeting Tuesday evening. Then it was back to school yesterday for my daughter's Sixth Form Evening. I have another governors' meeting this afternoon. 

What with pastoral visits, Bible Study/Sermon prep and all, I haven't had too much time for reading, but I've got through a few more chapters of Paul Brown's biog of Earnest Kevan and have nearly finished The Unexpected Jesus, by Craig Hovey. His portrait of Jesus certainly isn't one I expected, that's for sure. Look out for a review next week.

I'll be preaching away on Sunday at Gillingham Baptist Church, Dorset, where we used to be members before moving to Westbury. That's Gillingam with the 'Gill' bit pronounced like a fish's gill rather than the girl's name, Gill as in Gillingham, Kent. Although for a Welshman like me, the 'll' in Gillingham should really be spoken with a 'chl' sound like Llanelli. 

1 comment:

L said...

Guy, have you ever thought about writing about the state of the church in England? I live in the States, and while I have visited Europe numerous times (including one trip to England), I don't have a good sense of the state of the church in England, or any other part of Europe, and it's hard to find good sources of information about such things here. I would be especially interested to hear about the Baptist church in England/Europe, and evangelicalism generally. Another topic of special interest to me is the depiction of Christianity in the media (including tv and news) in England/Europe. If you aren't interested in writing about these issues at present, could you recommend any sources?