Pages

Monday, July 02, 2007

Hendon Lane is Memory Lane

Yesterday I preached at Kensit Evangelical Church, Hendon Lane, Finchley. The church building is part of the Kensit Memorial College complex that now houses the London Theological Seminary. I studied at LTS from 1988-1990 and was an associate member of the church during those years. I was in my early 20's back then, as were several of my old friends at the church. Now we are all 40-somethings and married with children. We have made frequent visits the church over the years, as my wife's parents are members there. The folks at Kensit have known our kids since they were babes in arms. Now our 10 & 12 year-olds try not to cringe at the "look how you've grown" routine.
The church itself has grown over the years. There were over 80 in the multi-ethnic congregation on Sunday morning, with several first-time visitors. In the evening we had about 60. Before the morning service, Philip Eveson, Principal of LTS and former pastor at the church mentioned that David Jussley, Associate Professor of Practical Theology at Reformed Theological Seminary, Jackson, Mississippi was in the congregation. Jussley teaches preaching at the RTS. I tried not to sound too bothered about his presence. But I could imagine the Prof telling his students one of those "how not to" anecdotes: "I heard a Welsh preacher while visiting London and do you know what he did....?".
In the morning I preached on 1 Kings 18:21 and in the evening on Romans 5:5. The people were warmly appreciative and encouraging. David Jussley couldn't have been more kind and gracious. After the evening meeting, Sarah and I took the children to the top floor of the LTS building and showed them my old room. It was there that I proposed to their mother. We were married at the church 16 years ago this Friday. Hendon Lane is Memory Lane.

No comments: